Charles Henry Cubbon
(1848-1916), a painter, was one of the men working at
Northwestern when the Iroquois Theater fire broke
out. Others were
Joseph Leibert and Murril Tierney. Painters and students
stretched ladders and
scaffolding across Couch Place and helped several
dozen theater goers escape.
Cubbon later sent an
engraved portion of the plank to the parents of
William McLaughlin who died from burns incurred
while helping people climb onto one of the planks
stretched across Couch Place.
Hall, Hoynes coincidence
and his coworkers were painting in Booth Hall in
Northwestern's law school. The primary lecture
hall, Booth Hall was named after Henry Booth
(1818-1898), the law school's first dean.
Northwestern's law school, Chicago's first, was
founded by an 1859 donation from Thomas M. Hoyne
(1817-1883), a prominent attorney in Chicago.
Susie Hoyne, was among the Iroquois Theater
survivors, escaping from the first floor.
Susie and her father, Thomas Hoyne Jr., who had
followed in his father's footsteps into a legal
career, graduating from Northwestern, probably read
newspaper stories about planks and Booth Hall
painters with especial interest.
Northwestern had established
it's Professional School in the heavily remodeled
former Tremont House hotel at Lake and Dearborn a
year earlier (including the addition of a seventh
floor). Supreme Court justice, James Oliver
Wendell Holmes spoke at the dedication. Law
occupied the third floor, sharing the building with
dentistry, pharmacy (4th floor) and general
university offices. The law school
consisted of a library, social assembly room,
practice court room, alumni room, faculty room and
three lecture halls, Booth, Hurd and Hoyne. Booth
Hall featured buff colored paint. Since the
renovation and move-in took place in October 1902,
one wonders what painting was being done in Booth
Hall during December 1903.
The eight-year-old hero
Cubbon testified about (below) was probably