Two Methodist ministers, George Studley and Charles
Robert, went to the Iroquois Theater with Kenosha, Wisconsin businessmen,
thirty-six-year-old Charles Fisher Cooper and his
older brother, forty-nine-year-old Willis W. Cooper. Despite the demise
of the Cooper brothers, co-owners and managers of Coopers Underwear Company (previously known as
the Chicago-Rockford Hosiery Co.), their company survived to
become today's Jockey International.
Their father, Samuel Thrall Cooper (1824-1892), a
retired Methodist minister, led the family into the
hosiery and underwear business in 1876 when he
purchased six used sewing machines, hired sewing
operators and set up in a livery stable
manufacturing stockings in St. Joseph, Michigan
under the name S.T. Cooper & Sons. Two years later
the company acquired more equipment and took on an
investment partner, Abel W. Wells, changing the name
to Cooper Wells Company.
Most mills then sold through jobbers. Samuel
pioneered the practice of selling directly to retail
merchants. The company prospered when it began
producing high quality wool socks for lumberjacks.
Cooper's three sons, Willis, Henry S. (1858-1924)
and Charles, were employed at the company as well,
Willis in the office and Henry in the plant.
In 1894, after Samuel Cooper's death, Willis sold
the family interest to Abel Wells. Henry Cooper took
a job at Dow Chemical while Willis and Charles went
to work for Chicago-Rockford Hosiery in Kenosha
where they soon became managers and co-owners.
1898 the company expanded into the men's underwear
market which proved successful enough that in 1900
the firm was incorporated as Coopers Underwear
Company. In 1902 they built a new manufacturing
facility for White Cat union suits at 60th & 23rd
avenue in Kenosha that remains today as Jockey
International's headquarters. Willis served as
President and general manager while Charles was
1903 both Willis and Charles were admired in Kenosha
for their wealth and generosity. Willis was
instrumental in fund raising for Methodist Episcopal
ministries, in 1897 writing a book on the subject,
and Charles implemented a profit-sharing program for
employees. Charles was a dedicated Mason and earlier
in the year helped organize a Masonic Temple
Association in Kenosha.
Willis was survived by his wife, the former Anna
Goodenow of Ontario (1854-1928), and a twenty-nine
year old daughter, Maud Beachel (1874-1957).
Charles' wife, the former Flora Yocum of Ohio, had
died the previous year. Charles left behind two
children, twelve year old Ralph Y. Cooper (1891-1958)
and eight year old Carlotta (1895-1988). Henry Cooper
became the head of Cooper Underwear.
In the years after
Willis Cooper bequeathed his $200,000 estate to
Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin, a school
affiliated with the Methodist Church. The school
rejected the money, however, because Cooper had died
in a theater and the Methodist Church was
theologically opposed to theaters. The money instead
went to Willis' daughter.
Note: One period newspaper suggested that the
Kenosha-based Cooper brothers were related to
Helene Cooper, another Iroquois victim, from a
Lena, Illinois family. I've
failed to find a