60-patient Iroquois Memorial Hospital at 87 Market
St. (today's Wacker Drive) was formally dedicated in
December of 1910. The first floor of the 20’ x 81’
4-story building was used as an ambulance station,
the second floor as a dispensary and the third floor
as an operating room.
Jackson, mother of Viva who lost her life at the
Iroquois Theater, was director of the hospital’s
Women and Children’s department. Richard T. Crane
Jr., who lost two cousins in the fire, was the
honorary president. Health commissioner W. A. Evans
accepted the hospital on behalf of the city.
Lorado Taft presented a model of a memorial tablet
to be made of bronze installed in the new hospital.
Cost for facility as of December, 1910: $50,000. The
Iroquois Memorial Association contributed $25,000.
The city signed a thirty-year $1,800 lease on the
The hospital treated
250 victims of the Eastland disaster and in 1918
established a venereal disease clinic. From its
opening until 1921 it treated over 16,000 simple
wounds, 916 burns, 3,100 pet bites, 500 crushing
injuries, 574 epileptic emergencies, 82 cases of
drug addition, 22 cases of insanity, 1,345
fractures, 292 dislocations, 809 stuff-in-eye,
performed 13,133 surgical procedures, performed
2,473 typhoid vaccinations and 7,829 smallpox,
treated 9,599 cases of tuberculosis, 8,488 of
syphilis, 1,6282 of gonorrhea, took 570 specimens
for typhoid testing and administered 1,158 influenza
Ironically, the fire
escape steps on the side of the building duplicate one of the
problems with the
steps at the Iroquois theater. They pass above
and in front of windows from which flames would pour
during a fire, giving escapees a choice of passing
through a blaze or jumping.
The building was demolished in 1951.