Forty-two year old Jean “Jennie” Livingston (1861-19??) and her sister, Daisy Livingston (1879-1903)
were the daughters of the late Elliza and Thomas Bain
Livingston (1840-1900),‡ a Chicago picture frame
manufacturer who had emigrated from Scotland at age
twenty and founded his business in 1892.
Jennie worked as a bookkeeper
and manager in her father’s company, T. B.
Livingstone Co., at 44-46 West Quincy in Chicago.
The firm employed forty workers and offered retail
refurbishing in addition to manufactured items.
Daisy taught at the Ray Elementary school. Her
funeral was held on January 2, 1904 at her brothers
home at 273 Oakwood Blvd. (Hope to learn more about
Another teacher from the May
school lost her life at the Iroquois Theater,
Florence O. White, and two students,
In 1914 the Ray
school students and staff were moved a block away to
the Ray school's present structure on South Kimbark Avenue (the former Hyde Park High School
structure). Ray's original structure on 57th and Monroe was sold and in the
1940s torn down to make Bixler
Discrepancies and addendum
Jean and Daisy had three brothers, Dr. Archibald
“Archie” T. Livingston (b.1875), Thomas
Livingston Jr. (married to Mary) and John K.
Livingston (married to Flora), as well as a sister,
Katherine Livingston (b.1866), who was also a
teacher. The Livingston family lived at 358 40th St
in 1900 and later moved to 1023 Chicago Ave. After
her siblings married, Jennie operated the home as a
small boarding house.