the Union League of Chicago commissioned sculptor
to create a solid bronze plaque to memorialize Iroquois
Theater fire victims.
Taft sculpted the "Motherhood of the World" protecting
the children of the universe with a a mother bending
over her child as he is born on a litter. In
addition to Taft's name, the plaque is inscribed
with the name J. Berchem,
Jules Berchem, whose
company, American Art Bronze, cast the plaque.
The plaque was originally displayed at the
Iroquois Memorial Hospital
at 87 Market St. that was dedicated
on the seventh anniversary of the fire in 1910.
The plaque itself was dedicated a year later.
The hospital was closed in 1935, reopened as a
tuberculosis clinic for a time and during World War
II was used as a headquarters for civilian defense.
It was demolished in 1951 for Wacker Drive
improvements. At that time the plaque was
salvaged and stored in the basement at
City Hall where it was rediscovered in 1967 and hung
LaSalle Street entrance with blessings by Chicago
mayor Richard J. Daly. In 2010 the
plaque was rededicated.
Information about Fountain of the Great Lakes