Known today as the Delaware
Building, the eight-story structure at the northeast
corner of Randolph and Dearborn (36 W. Randolph) was
designed by Wheelock and Thomas as part of the
Bryant Block, completed in 1874. Two floors and an
atrium were added in 1889 and it became home to the
Real Estate Board. Today it is occupied by McDonalds
and Guaranty National Trust.
On June 6, 1903, the
Erlanger syndicate that owned the Iroquois Theater
announced its plan to purchase and raze the building
in order to erect an eighteen-story hotel – that
they planned to promote as the only fireproof hotel in the Loop.